Broccoli is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin C, chromium, and folate. It is a very good source of dietary fiber, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, vitamin E, manganese, phosphorus, choline, vitamin B1, vitamin A (in the form of carotenoids), potassium, and copper.
Number of servings: 6, 190 calories per serving.
- 2 bunches broccoli
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 russet potato, peeled, cut into 1” pieces
- salt and pepper
- Remove and discard tough lower stalk of each broccoli. Peel remaining stalk.
- Finely chop stalk and florets (you should have about 4 cups). Set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion and sweat until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add stock and potato and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until potato is almost tender, about 12 minutes.
- Stir in chopped florets. Simmer until potato and broccoli are very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and purée in a blender until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.