In Change Your Brain, Change Your Life: The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger, and Impulsiveness, you’ll see scientific evidence that your anxiety, depression, anger, obsessiveness, or impulsiveness could be related to how specific structures in your brain work.
You’re not stuck with the brain you’re born with. Here are just a few of neuropsychiatrist Dr. Daniel Amen’s surprising–and effective–“brain prescriptions” that can help heal your brain and change your life:
- To Quell Anxiety and Panic: Use simple breathing techniques to immediately calm inner turmoil
- To Fight Depression: Learn how to kill ANTs (automatic negative thoughts)
- To Curb Anger: Follow the Amen anti-anger diet and learn the nutrients that calm rage
- To Conquer Impulsiveness and Learn to Focus: Develop total focus with the “One-Page Miracle”
- To Stop Obsessive Worrying: Follow the “get unstuck” writing exercise and learn other problem-solving exercises
In this age of do-it-yourself health care (heck, if the doctor only sees you for 10 minutes each visit, what other options are there?), Change Your Brain, Change Your Life fits in perfectly. Filled with “brain prescriptions” (among them cognitive exercises and nutritional advice) that are geared toward readers who’ve experienced anxiety, depression, impulsiveness, excessive anger or worry, and obsessive behavior, Change Your Brain, Change Your Life milks the mind-body connection for all it’s worth.
Written by a psychiatrist and neuroscientist who has also authored a book on attention deficit disorder, Change Your Brain contains dozens of brain scans of patients with various neurological problems, from caffeine, nicotine, and heroin addiction to manic-depression to epilepsy.
These scans, often showing large gaps in neurological activity or areas of extreme overactivity, are downright frightening to look at, and Dr. Amen should know better than to resort to such scare tactics. But he should also be commended for advocating natural remedies, including deep breathing, guided imagery, meditation, self-hypnosis, and biofeedback for treating disorders that are so frequently dealt with by prescription only.
Author: Daniel G. Amen
Year of Release: 1999