“Bark” in the “chocolate bark” sense of a layer or stratum of hard or semi-hard candy in which various things (candy, nuts, etc.) are embedded is definitely a figurative use of the “tree skin” kind of “bark,” based on the vague resemblance of the confection to very rough tree bark.
Number of servings: 4, 350 calories per serving.
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup pure honey, liquid stevia or agave nectar
- 1 cup of crushed almonds
- In a saucepan, combine cocoa powder and virgin coconut oil.
- Melt on low heat, stir continuously
- Add honey and stir for 1-2 minutes until combined
- Remove from heat. Let cool for 1-2 minutes
- Add in almonds
- Line an 8×8 glass dish with parchment paper.
- Pour chocolate mixture into the dish
- Put in the freezer for 30 minutes (or until hard)
- Store in the fridge, otherwise chocolate bark will melt
- Remove from the freezer, break into squares