This delicate and creamy asparagus soup tastes wonderfully luxurious, yet it’s made without heavy cream — just vegetables and broth. The fleshy green spears of asparagus are both succulent and tender and have been considered a delicacy since ancient times. This highly prized vegetable arrives with the coming of spring, when its shoots break through the soil and reach their 6-8 inch harvest length.
Servings 6: calories 270 per serving.
- 2 pounds green asparagus
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked in warm water for 1 hour (or ½ cup soy/almond milk)
- ¼ teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- Cut asparagus into ½-inch pieces.
- In a large pot, heat margarine over medium-low heat, and cook the onion for a few minutes, until softened.
- Add asparagus pieces and salt and pepper to taste, then cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add broth and simmer, covered, until asparagus is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add cashews and purée soup using an immersion blender (or in batches in a blender) until smooth.
- Season with lemon juice, and salt and pepper.