Try these delicious family-friendly brownies with a surprising twist.
Serves 8, 260 calories per serving.
- 2 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) vegan margarine, plus more for the baking dish
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with enough foil so that the foil extends a few inches over 2 sides of the pan.
- Grease the foil with margarine.
- Put chocolate and margarine in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until margarine and almost all of the chocolate has melted, about 4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool for a few minutes (any remaining chunks of chocolate should melt).
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, chile powder, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into a medium bowl and stir in sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and stir just until smooth.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake just until the top of the brownies begins to look dried and a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out with moist crumbs but no raw batter sticking to it, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool the brownies in the pan for 10 minutes and then use the foil on the sides to lift the brownies out and place on a rack to cool completely.
- Peel off the foil and cut the brownies into 16 squares.