The tofu in this recipe is cooked like a steak – seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic cooked till crispy on the outside and hot in the middle. Tofu steaks are great with shiitakes and veggies is a quick vegetarian entree full of flavor and rich vegetables. The textures and flavors of the dish are wonderful, especially with fresh tofu from a local market. But the firm tofu you can find in the store works fine as well
Number of servings: 6, 320 calories per serving.
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu
- 4 Tbsp tamari
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp orange juice
- sprig of rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- safflower oil for saute pan
- Drain your tofu and press dry with a paper towel or tofu press.
- Slice into thick steaks and again dry the edges and press dry.
- Squeeze out as much water as you can without disturbing the shape of the tofu.
- Mix up remaining ingredients to make the marinade and toss each of the tofu steaks in the liquid.
- Lay them in a shallow wide pan.
- Let tofu marinate for at least a few hours or overnight.
- If you can, flip the tofu half-way through.
- Remove rosemary sprig before cooking tofu.
- Now you are ready to cook your tofu.
- Add 2 teaspoons of safflower oil to a hot saute pan.
- When the oil is very hot, add in the tofu.
- After a minute, flip the steaks adding any leftover marinade mixture.
- Continue cooking until all the liquid has cooked away or been absorbed and tofu has crispy dark edges (about 15 minutes).
- Add drizzle of maple syrup.
- Add a few dashes of salt and pepper to the surface of the tofu just before removing from pan.
- Remove tofu from pan and while pan is still hot, add in the citrus slices.
- Turn off heat and allow the orange wedges to sit in pan for 3 minutes.
- Service while hot.