Believe or not, every January 5th we celebrate National Whipped Cream Day and pay tribute to the sweet cream that compliments a wide range of desserts. Not surprising that this luscious topping originated from France, where it is known as Crème a la Chantilly. Here we have a vegan version as good as any with dairy.
Number of servings: 6, 270 calories per serving.
- One can of full-fat BPA-free coconut milk
- Dash stevia
- Dash vanilla extract
- Place can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight.
- Just before you make your whipped cream, place a mixing bowl in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the chilled can from fridge and FLIP it upside down. The liquid coconut milk (the part that doesn’t harden) will be at the top of the can.
- Open the can. Pour the coconut liquid at the top into another bowl. Thus can be used to make another recipe, such as a smoothie.
- Scoop the coconut cream into your chilled bowl.
- Whip the cream using a hand mixer or stand mixer. Whip the cream until fluffy.
- Add in a dash of stevia and vanilla extract and whip it again. Sweeten to taste. You can also use regular cane sugar, confectioner’s sugar, or maple syrup.
- Note: Store leftovers in the fridge for up to one week in a sealed container