Leek soup is a soup based on potatoes, leeks, broth, and a cream base. Other ingredients used may be salt and pepper, and various spices. Generally the potatoes are diced and cooked in broth, while the leeks are chopped and sautéed. This soup is related to brotchán foltchep, a classic leek and oatmeal soup also known as brotchán roy. Simple and delicious, this is a classic soup that is easy and quick to prepare.
Number of servings: 6, 340 calories per serving.
- 3-4 Tbsp olive oil
- 6-8 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1″ cubes
- 2 large leeks, sliced into rounds
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 6 cups veggie stock or 6 cups water + 1 veggie bouillon cube
- 2 tsp dried thyme, or 1-2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- ½ tsp dried dill, or 1 tsp chopped fresh dill (optional)
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1-2 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper, and more to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add leeks and potatoes, and sauté for about 5 mins, stirring constantly.
- Add in carrots, thyme, salt, and pepper. Saute for another 5-10 minutes.
- Add veggie stock and bring soup to a near boil. Reduce to low heat, cover pot, and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- At the end of simmering, use a stainless steel immersion blender to puree of the soup in the pot until you reach the desired level of smoothness.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Garnish with fresh baby spinach, and serve along side your favorite gluten-free toast.