There’s something so cozy and satisfying about a hot bowl of vegetable soup. It’s as comforting to cook as it is to eat — and you just can’t mess it up. It’s great for any season, using any vegetables that are in the markets, and any changes simply make it more interesting. When the cold winds starts to blow, heat up a bowl of this hearty vegetable soup to keep your family warm.
Number of servings: 6, 285 calories per serving.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 eggplant, diced
- 12 small tomatoes
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 12 ounces tofu, diced
- 1 cup tomato pasta sauce
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup small pasta shells
- 1 pinch fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and add in the onions and eggplant. Cook the vegetables until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and tomatoes and cook until they have started to soften.
- Add pasta sauce and vegetable stock and bring the pot to a simmer. Continue to simmer another 5 minutes or so, until the vegetables are almost tender. Add pasta shells, and simmer until they are al dente. Give the soup a taste and add salt and pepper as needed.