This hearty soup with butternut and beans will warm kids up on a chilly fall or winter day. For even more flavor, sprinkle each bowl with vegan grated cheese before serving. The squash gives it a good sweet taste. I like to serve it with a toasted whole grain bread.
Serves one, 270 calories per portion.
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can white kidney beans
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 2 kale leaves
- handful of chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the onion, red pepper, garlic, sage, kale, salt and pepper in the olive oil for about 6 minutes.
- Add squash, and stir for a further 2 minutes.
- Pour in stock, 1 cup of water and beans and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat, then simmer for 12 minutes until squash is soft.
- Stir in parsley and serve.