A number of lactose intolerant people have asked me if it’s even possible to make a vegan French toast. Good news! This Vegan Strawberry French Toast is delicious. It’s the perfect thing to serve for special occasions such as a romantic breakfast in bed.
Number of servings: 4, 330 calories per serving.
- 4 pieces of sliced bread, soft (multigrain or whole wheat)
- 1 1/4 cup Silk Soy Nog
- 4 large strawberries, blended
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp vegan buttery spread for cooking (i.e. Earth Balance)
- Strawberry slices to taste
- Powdered sugar to taste
- Maple syrup to taste
- Blend strawberries in blend until pureed.
- Add soy nog, spices, flour, strawberry puree to a flat-bottom dish or Tupperware. Whisk them together.
- Turn your stove on med-high and add 1 Tbsp of buttery spread into a large saute pan, allowing it to coat the surface of the pan.
- Dip and soak a bread slice for 2 seconds on each side and immediately transfer to hot oiled pan.
- Repeat until your pan is filled with the bread.
- Allow your french toast to sit in the pan for a 3 minutes before flipping. After flipping, should be a nice marbled dark golden brown color.
- Sprinkle cinnamon (to taste) on each of the toasts while they are cooking in the pan.
- After 3 minutes, flip the toasts. They should be a nice marbled dark golden brown color.
- Once all the toasts are flipped, allow them to cook for another 3 minutes on the other side.
- The edges should be crisp.
- If needed, spray canola oil in the pan during the cooking process to keep bread from sticking.
- Serve with a strawberry slices and powdered sugar.
- Optional: serve with coconut whipped cream on top.