Bananas are a fascinating fruit in terms of their carbohydrate and sugar content. Even though bananas are a fruit that tastes quite sweet when ripe—containing 14-15 grams of total sugar—bananas receive a rating of low in their glycemic index (GI) value. GI measures the impact of a food on our blood sugar.
Bananas are stress-reducing because of their cardiovascular benefits. Bananas are a good source of potassium, an essential mineral for maintaining normal blood pressure and heart function. Since one medium-sized banana contains a whopping 400-plus mg of potassium, the inclusion of bananas in your routine meal plan may help to prevent high blood pressure and protect against atherosclerosis.
Makes 1 pie, about 8 servings, 390 calories per serving.
- 1 box Mimiccreme Healthy Top
- 1 tsp crushed vanilla bean
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 Tbsp agar agar
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (full fat)
- 2-3 Tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 13 ounce silken tofu
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 banana thinly sliced
- 3 kiwis thinly sliced
- crushed vanilla or graham cookies or pre-made vanilla crust
- The agar agar is a a great gelling agent). Heat it in a small sauce pan with the coconut milk and maple syrup at high heat for about 3 minutes until the agar beads have dissolved, stirring constantly.
- Immediately after turning off the heat, add in the 2 Tbsp virgin coconut oil and allow to slowly dissolve in the hot liquid.
- Strain hot liquid through a mesh strainer so that any leftover clumps of agar are removed.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, add the silken tofu, banana, vanilla extract, salt and the hot maple/coconut mixture.
- Blend on low, then medium, then high until the mixture is silky.
- Prep your crust in a pie pan. Add about 1/2 cup of banana slices to the crust.
- Pour the pudding mixture over top. Add a few more banana slices over top the filling and around the edges.
- Place in fridge. Chill until firmed. A few hours.
- When ready to serve pie, add Healthy Top, a ripe banana, and vanilla specks to a large mixing bowl.
- Beat until fluffy and creamy, making sure the banana has been smoothed into the whip.
- Smooth the whip over top the chilled banana pie.
- Add fresh banana and kiwi slices as garnish.
- Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator before serving.
- Optional: serve with coconut whipped cream on top.