These delicious vegan burgers are made with textured vegetable protein (TVP). TVP is made from soy flour or concentrate, containing 50% and 70% soy protein, respectively; they have a mild beany flavor. Using TVP, one can make vegetarian or vegan versions of traditionally meat-based dishes, such as chili con carne, spaghetti bolognese, sloppy joes, tacos, burgers, or burritos.
Number of servings: 2, 390 calories per serving.
- 2/3 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 – 1/2 cups flour
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- dash salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the TVP (textured vegetable protein) and the vegetable broth in a large bowl. Allow the TVP to rehydrate for at least 15 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed. Drain any excess moisture.
- Combine the TVP with the remaining ingredients and stir to combine well. You may need to add a little more or less than 1 cup flour to get the mixture to the right sticky consistency.Form the mixture into patties and fry in oil on each side until lightly browned.
- Serve on bun with whatever you like on your burgers.