Number of servings: 6, 250 calories per serving.
- 6 beets (fresh, 2-2 1/4 inches in diameter, unpeeled, but scrubbed and trimmed)
- 4 cups sweet onions
- 4 cups vegetable broth (divided)
- 2 stalks celery (& leaves)
- 2 ginger (taplespoons of fresh peeled grated)
- 12 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- Cut each beet into 6 wedges.
- Slice onion thinly.
- Chop celery and leaves.
- Place beets in 8 cup measuring cup
- Add 3 cups of broth.
- Cover and microwave on high for 15 minutes.
- Heat cup of water in pan.
- Saute onion and celery until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add beets and 1 cup of broth, cover and simmer 2 minutes.
- Mix in ginger and spice powder.
- Puree in blender or with immersion blender.