If you think that vegan desserts can’t be delicious, this vegan chocolate cake with chocolate orange frosting will change your mind. For kids and adults with food allergies, finding a vegan birthday cake that’s not dry and tasteless can be exhausting. The search is over thanks to this vegan dessert.
Number of servings: 12, 390 calories per serving.
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (whole grain pastry flour)
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not to exceed 61% cacao), chopped
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) vegan “butter” or margarine, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Large pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup light agave nectar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9-inch-diameter cake pan with 2-inch-high sides with nonstick spray.
- Sift all purpose flour, sugar, whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into large bowl.
- Add 3/4 cup water, oil, juice concentrate, vanilla, and vinegar and whisk to blend.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on rack.
- Carefully cut around pan sides and turn out cake onto serving platter.
- Place chopped bittersweet chocolate in medium metal bowl. Set bowl over saucepan of barely simmering water. Stir constantly until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Carefully transfer bowl to work surface. Cool melted chocolate to room temperature, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Using electric mixer, beat “butter” in large bowl until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon juice concentrate, vanilla, and salt; beat until smooth.
- Add 2 tablespoons juice concentrate; beat until blended. Beat in agave nectar, then chocolate.
- Let stand 10 minutes. Frost top and sides of cake.
- The frosting firms up quickly, so spread it over the cake shortly after you make it.
- Garnish with fresh berries and kiwi.
- Optional: serve with coconut whipped cream on top.