Chorizo (Spanish) or chouriço (Portuguese) is a term originating in the Iberian Peninsula encompassing several types of pork sausages. Traditionally, chorizo is encased in natural casings made from intestines, a method used since Roman times. There are many vegan chorizo alternatives at grocery stores such as Whole Foods.
Number of servings: 12, 190 calories per serving.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeño chile
- 1 12-ounce package vegan chorizo
- 1 15.4-ounce to 16-ounce can vegetarian refried black beans
- 12 corn tortillas, warm
- Diced onion
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add sliced onion and jalapeño; sauté until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add vegany chorizo and cook until beginning to brown in spots, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook beans in heavy small saucepan over low heat until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Stack 2 warm tortillas for each of 6 tacos. Spread scant 2 tablespoons beans over each stack.
- Top with vegan chorizo mixture, dividing equally.
- Sprinkle with diced onion and cilantro.
- Add shredded vegan cheese if desired.
- If you want to make this hotter add 1/4 to 1 fresh habanero, stemmed, seeded, deveined and finely chopped.
- Serve and enjoy.